Monday, January 16, 2006

A Lincoln on the tracks

Oohh, busy week coming up here, and should be an exciting one too.
You know, in some peculiar way that first line brought me onto something entirely different. So we'll just see where that takes us. Nowhere I assume, but I'll give it a shot. This is extreme- blogging, at it's best, don't you think?

Anyway.
Over christmas I rode in one of the smallest commercial airplanes I've ever been in. Walking down the aisle (no, not that one) it reminded me of a nightmare I used to have when I was a kid. Of course, it didn't really help that the stressed out indian father- of- four had to dash to the toilet for emergency diaper- duty even before we taxied off either..

Nevertheless, the flight proved to be somewhat of a success and we all landed with a cheerful smile and dry bottoms. Always an advantage when traveling, don't you think?

On another note, as Walter Cronkite would put it, I thought I'd let the inspiration from a book I'm presently reading, slowly linger onto these pages. Actually, I'll skip the inspiration part and simply move on to a curious fact I stumbled upon when reading it. Oh, I've actually sailed with Walter too come to think of it, and that ties neatly into the subject I'm trying to introduce too..

Lincoln was a president who's career ended in a rather abrupt but truly Kennedyesque- kind of way. He was murdered.
This is news which I suspect is fairly well known by now, considering he's been murdered for quite some time, but there's more to it. The assassin was a fellow named Booth, and as a result of the shooting & murdering he was soon considered a rather unpleasant person. This changed not only the life for himself, but also that of his brother, one of Americas first showbusiness celebrities. He was naturally rather disappointed his brother had gone off and killed someone, and was not entirely pleased it was the president of the USA either. As a result he became deeply depressed and gradually left acting.

One day years later while waiting at the platform at the central station, he heard screams close by. He then found that a young man had just then fallen off the platform and onto the tracks. Without hesitating, he rushed over, jumped off the platform and rescued the young man from an oncoming train, barely avoiding being hit by it himself.

Some time later, he received a letter from the governor, thanking him for his brave rescue and saving the life of the governors protege, a young man by the name of Lincoln Jr.

Booth had managed to save the life of the person who's father his brother killed. He went back to acting and carried that letter in his inner pocket for the rest of his life.

Syncronicities, they're the new black.
Now remember, you read it here first..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home